A weekend house swap in Slaithwaite. Swimming in the morning followed by lunch at the excellent Handmade Bakery and two new lampshades for the kitchen at Made Good. Thanks to Sal, Mike, Ben, their two cats and two chickens. Sardinia next.
From the recent Intelligent Life: The internet makes information billionaires out of all of us, and the architects of our online experiences are catching on to the need to make things creatively difficult.
In response, three sites that narrow the information. Less noise, more signal.
- Viewsource: a daily email newsletter that contains just one video clip and a short description.
- This is My Jam: pick just one song per week, and share it
- Valet: a collection of hand-picked benefits and guidance for the discerning 21st-century creative professional
Learned to tie a bowtie for the first time this week. Brilliant new man skill, thanks to Lucky Levinson and YouTube. Now have four bowties to choose from.
Saturday, a sunny day
Long weekend in an Elvaston Woodsman at Darwin Forest. Lovely. Forest trails, indoor pool, soft play, Lover’s Walk in Matlock Bath, vanilla slice by the bandstand in Matlock, Sunday lunch at the White Lion in Great Longstone, Mad Men 4 on DVD, feeding ducks at Ashford-in-the-Water, Bakewell market and gypsy parking.
Perfect autumnal sunny days, too.
1. Elvis Costello, ‘Every Day I Write the Book’
2. The Christians, ‘Ideal World’
3. Lotus Eaters, ‘The First Picture of You’
4. Echo and the Bunnymen, ‘Seven Seas’
5. Flock of Seagulls, Wishing (I Had a Photograph of You)
6. China Crisis, ‘Black Man Ray’
7. Black, ‘Wonderful Life’
8. Frankie Goes to Hollywood, ‘Born to Run’
9. Gomez, ‘Whippin Piccadilly’
10. The La’s, ‘There She Goes’
Slow Grilled Mustard Rubbed Pork Loin, Brown Basmati Rice & Quinoa, White Wine Braised Tempeh, Heirloom Tomato Macadamia Caprese. Prepped by the inhouse chef at Airbnb (see previous) on June 6. The jammy beggars. More on tech companies’ free staff lunches here.
Today, we’ve just had our quarterly meeting: pizza followed by cakes from M&S. I can have no complaints.